GYRO: The seemingly-Greek Shawarma

Monday, April 18, 2016


Before I head on, here’s to ending a stress-filled term; and starting another one. I’ve got other things to blog to you about since January, but school’s been taking up my time. So I’ll be making the best of our 1-week term break by readying the other posts, and having them officially on my blog queue. :)
Now, Gyro has been a hit to my male blockmates. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, ‘Blockmates’ are basically ‘Classmates’ in College. The Gyro hype all started when they were taking care of things for our short film, and they decided to eat in "Gyro" at SM North Edsa. I wasn’t there when the whole thing happened, but my friends told me how these guys loved it so much that they kept coming back to order some more. And get this, one of them whose name is “Gab” has actually been returning there to eat for the past, consecutive days. That’s how much these guys are crazy for Gyros. Thankfully, my friends planned to eat out together before the term actually ends. A.k.a. the last term we’ll all be together. And more thankfully, Gab decided to treat us to the barkada-famous (due to word-of-mouth)-- Gyro.




Gyro offers only two choices of meat: Chicken and Beef; and you can choose whether it’s Fully Beef/ Chicken, and if it'll come with Vegetables. You can also have some add-ons by paying extra, and they offer other food such as Fries, and Grilled Cheese as well.



So here are our initial orders. Plus, our friend- Arth on the top-right corner. Haha! Take note: it’s 5 Gyros for 5 persons.


Here's Gab, savoring his beloved Gyro.

Something unique, and customer-centered from Gyro is how they serve your orders with gloves. Because eating them can get really messy, and I doubt people would like getting their hands dirty when in malls. I also doubt that they’d enjoy eating the Gyro with a spoon and fork, since it isn’t a fancy, Downton Abbey-like meal.

My order was a Classic Beef Gyro, which meant it had a mix of Vegetables. The Vegetables I recognized were Cucumber, and Lettuce.


And here's Arth, soloing the moment with his Gyro.

A girl with a flexible tongue’s take: It was good, and I can totally get why they were starstrucked with Gyro. It tasted pretty much like Shawarma, but imagine having a bread-flavored Waffle as a shell instead of the regular, thin Pita. Imagine too, that the meat tastes more real, and less stiff. Plus, the sauce they have on them is so good. It’s probably what pulled the whole Gyro up. So yes, I liked it a lot! And I would totally come back for more. Though I don’t recommend it for take-out, unless you don’t intend to eat it while walking as if it’s a regular burger. It’s really messy to eat, and I don’t think any technique can save you from dropping a Beef/ Chicken or two, nor spilling a bit of its sauce. Eating a regular Shawarma is much easier, but Gyro tastes much better.

Fun Fact: When I searched “Gyro” in Google, the results showed Shawarmas. Well, they looked exactly like Shawarma, at the least. Except, it has a much thicker Pita that doesn’t have the appearance of a Waffle. Do you think that maybe… Just maybe… “Gyro” actually means ‘Shawarma’ in Greek? *gasps*

Gyro’s given our tummies a great time. Especially our two, guy friends Gab, and Arth who ordered double for themselves.


Here’s a picture of our containers. Minus one, because one of our friends took hers home. When you see the extras, you know who they're from. Haha!



The Gyro branch we ate in is at the Ground Floor of SM North Edsa's The Block. It's located beside Cafe Adriatico, and can be easily seen from the Cashiers of the Hypermarket.



Thanks, Gab! And thanks, Gyro! :)

Before we separated ways to get to our homes, we went up to the main floor of the Block, and found a Gourmet Fair. Giving out a 'Woohoo'! Because who doesn’t love Gourmet Fairs? We didn’t stick around for long though, but we found some interesting stalls that offered unique products.
But that'll be on my next blogpost. So stay tuned! ;)

'till my next post! :)












You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe