Beef Bourguignon

Monday, July 13, 2015


Yay for my first Cooking blog post! :) I'm determined in learning how to cook various recipes. A.k.a. learning how to be a great wife in the future for you-know-who. Lolandi HAHAHA kidding

So anyway, I got this recipe from Jennifer's "Foodess" blog. All of my cooking posts are going to be based from recipes around the net; and this one's from here. :)



Here are the ingredients! (don't think wrong about the two wine bottles)


Salt
Ground Pepper
1 cup of Mushrooms (I used dried Shiitake)
Flour (I just measured it based on my senses)
1 cup of Pearl Onions or White Onions (it was what it was labeled in markets)


1 cup of Red Wine (preferably Burgundy)
Butter
Dried or Fresh Thyme
1 cup of Baby Potatoes
1 cup of Baby Carrots or regular, sliced Carrots


2 cups of Beef Cubes/ Beef Broth
3 cloves of Garlic, minced


1 1/2 pounds of Beef Cubes
During this time, however, we tried using Goat cubes. It went well, but Beef is still better.
Ziploc (choose a medium sized one)



So before everything, I started with peeling and chopping the Carrots (if baby Carrots, I would chop them into two). Same goes for the Pearl/ White Onions. I chopped them into 4 pieces. 
Then, I peeled the baby Potatoes. It's optional though. You can keep its skin on, as long as you rinse it thoroughly.


Since the mushrooms I used were dried (I bought them sealed), I placed them on water for a while, so it would soften up. 
When it was ready, I sliced the big ones into four parts; and the small ones into two.


Next up, in what's supposed to be a Ziploc, I sprinkled the salt, pepper and flour. I didn't measure it anymore, I just used my gut senses, because I had to refill it again anyway.
Then, I placed in the cubes by batches, making sure that they're not too much so they won't be crowded; and that the flour mix will be enough to coat all of them.
When all's done and are placed on the supposed Ziploc, it's time to shake. ;)


It's supposed to look something like this. It should be well-coated by the mix. When they're done getting marinated, I placed them on our chopping board, because after frying them and the mushrooms on a pan, they should be placed in a bowl or a plate together.



The Beef has to be fried until it's brown. Make sure when you press it, it wouldn't leak blood anymore.

Afterwards, the mushrooms must be sauteed with butter (no specific amount. Like what Julie from Julie and Julia said, "You can never have too much Butter") until it gets the golden-brown kind of color.


When the sauteing and the frying's done, the minced garlic must be sauteed in a Casserole Pot or a Dutch Oven. When it's done, you must pour in a cup of Beef Broth.

Have flour mixed in another cup of Beef Broth. Don't mix it in yet.
In the pot, mix in the Beef and Mushrooms, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Broth and Flour mix, and the cup of Red Wine. Then, sprinkle in some Thyme.



It should start to look something like this, and you should be able to smell the wine and broth aroma. Which smells really good. A smell that can fool people that the cooking was done in a restaurant. :)


Then, let it into a low boil for 2 1/2 hours. That's what Jennifer said. In my experiences, however, it took me more because the Beef didn't soften enough even for 3 hours. 
That's for me, anyway; but it'll depend on you, of course. If you like your Beef in a different quality (like maybe in a specific kind of softness), just keep checking on it. And when the Beef's quality's reached your standards, you can turn the stove off.


 Also remember to put the lid on when boiling. Lol, obvi.
Aaalso x2, I highly suggest you prepare extra Broths and Wine (which explains the two bottles in my picture).
When you boil the Bourguignon, the sauce lessens. ALOT. So unless you want your Casserole dry, keep adding cups of Broths and Wine, when you notice the sauce reducing large amounts.

That's about it! And don't forget to stir it from time to time, especially the bottom part. The sauce and ingredients have tendencies of sticking on the bottom and of getting burnt.
You wouldn't want that, right?

That ends the recipe. It's a really delicious one, I swear.
Credits and Thanks to Jennifer Pallian and her Foodess blog for the recipe. :)

Come on, guys! Get cooking!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe